By: James T. Horning © 2014
They just do! Does it matter why? Well, knowing why might help in motivating you to do what you need to do to take care of business at home. Getting a divorce, in contrast, is one of the most most stressful experiences in ones life second only to the death of ones spouse . Did you know that stress is the #1 killer? Of course you did. Just thought I would check.
Marriage, in its ideal form, provides you with a consistent environment of having your basic human needs met. It supplies you with a reliable source of love, nurture, growth, and companionship. There is no question that regular sexual activity in a loving environment can mitigate the effects of stress. Here is a list of just a few of the primary reasons married people live longer.
- Consistent source of love in its many forms. Endless studies show how plants and animals thrive when given love and attention. How can humans be any less responsive? We humans need to know that we are loved, appreciated and that our existence matters to someone. A mate is the most reliable and viable source for experiencing unconditional love in all its forms. Friends don’t always love unconditionally and work associates are the ficklest. A good mate can soothe your pains, bolster your self worth and then take you to heaven without ever leaving the house.
- Consistent sexual opportunity. The old axiom “Use it or lose it” fits right in here. The act of sex is as natural and integral to our health and well being as is good nutrition, exercise and spirituality. The virtues of an active sexual relationship are remarkably inspiring to say the least. In fact, I think they are pretty obvious once you think about it. Sex gives you an ultimate sense of connection and reconnection with your beloved. It enables you to demonstrate and receive a physical demonstration of love. Sex is recreational and can be very rejuvenating. For men in particular, it’s a great way of refocusing attention and releasing the stresses of the day. One guy said “It helps me get rid of the poison”. There’s truth to that on many levels. The obvious one is that anything that reduces stress, which is Americas primary cultural poison, is beneficial to your health. Secondly, studies suggest that one of the primary causes of prostate cancer may be sexual inactivity. Remember “Use it or lose it”? Your prostate is like a natural spring. If the water doesn’t flow freely from the spring, it will stagnate. I think you get the drift.
- Watching out for each others’ Nobody cares about your health like your spouse. If you’re not driving them out of their minds and hoping you get hit by a train, they most certainly would prefer that you don’t die before your time or should I say before their time. If you’re not self motivated to take care of yourself, your spouse is there to encourage you to watch your weight, stop smoking and limit your sodium intake. This leads right into the next longevity boosting benefit of marriage.
- A Reason for living. Just knowing how significant you are in the life of your beloved is reason enough to live and live fully. Spouses can also be very instrumental in prodding and supporting you to pursue things that give meaning to your life. A good woman, for example, is one of the greatest sources of inspiration for a man to follow his heart and his dreams.
- Motivation for taking care of ones self. Loving and caring about the wellbeing of your mate gives you a greater motivation to take care of yourself. They also deserve to not get short changed when it comes to your lifespan. Knowing that they desire your health, love and companionship and will feel lost (at least for a time) is a huge motivation to take better care of yourself. Your mate deserves to have you at your best. Your love for your significant other can give you leverage to do things that nothing else can.
Marriage is good for you. At least a good marriage is good for you. A bad marriage can stress you out of your mind. Many couples remain in a “dead” marriage for life for religious reasons. Nothing could be more ungodly in my opinion than to misrepresent to yourself, to your children, and to the world what God intended in marriage. However, divorce is almost never the right option to fix a marriage problem. The travesty is that most people that divorce take the very problems that led up to the divorce with them to the next marriage. Staying married is usually the best option but you must learn what you have been doing wrong and fix the problem. The truth is, the person you are married to is probably a perfect match for you even if you currently can’t stand each other. If you wan to live longer, fix your marriage and fix it good! How to have a good marriage does not come naturally to most people. It’s not something to be ashamed about. If you want to learn how to save your business and take it to a new level, what do you do? If you’ve got half a head on your shoulders, you seek out expert advice. If you need to get an edge in the job market so you don’t risk unemployment, what do you do? You grow yourself into a more sophisticated individual in your field. Right? The same principle applies in your marriage. If you want to turn your marriage around and make it your greatest asset, you need to find the best information you can and apply it with fervor.